DASHBOARD Forums Freezing of Gait Welcome to the discussion about FOG

Tagged: ,

• Clare

July 27, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Hi there, on the Asymmetric Motor slide it says worse FOG is when off and there is less freezing with DT and 180 turn when on. But then it says freezing is most likely when initiating gait, turning 540 and walking through doorways when on. Afraid I’ve got a bit confused at when medication is helpful or not. Thanks

• Clare

July 27, 2021 at 3:17 pm

Apologies I now have another question! Is is there a description of the Box Shuffle Test anywhere please, other than the diagram in the slides? I am unable to find anything online. Many thanks

• Ailien

July 28, 2021 at 12:22 pm

I had the same question. Can you please show a little video on the box test? I couldn’t find it.

• Melissa

Administrator
    August 3, 2021 at 2:40 am

hi Clare, yes medication is effective for Asymmetric Motor and sensory-attentive, less so for affective/anxious group. The different groups are triggered by different components of the testing and this changes when ON or OFF. The article attached Ehgoetz Martens goes in to more detail here.

Regarding the box shuffle, I can’t show you a video as we are in lockdown currently but here is a description from one of the original authors of the test. Courtney Walton and colleagues Cognitive training for freezing of gait in Parkinson’s disease: a randomized controlled trial | npj Parkinson’s Disease (nature.com)

• Tanya

August 6, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Hi,

You referred to a falls and freezing of gait diary. Do you have a good link to a resource that you use effectively to give to your patients? Do you have a movement chart that you would recommend using in an inpatient setting for advocating with neurologists around medication changes that you would be happy to share please?

• Ailien

August 12, 2021 at 9:57 am

Going through your video slowly. Just to let you know that I cannot hear any of the sounds in any of the videos. So when you are letting us hear the beat of the metronome, I cannot hear anything.

Also, you mention you have yet to meet a Parkinson’s client who has FOG who is not very deconditioned. I have two pretty fit men in my group who have FOG. We do focus on cardio and strength training as well as PD warrior to make sure they are fit.

• Melissa

Administrator
      August 18, 2021 at 6:23 am

Good to know Ailien. It is true that people can be fit and a freezer but it is more unusual. Hope the module helps to improve outcomes? Noted on the audio. I did mute the audio on the videos but not intentionally on the metronome. Will have to fix that. Ta

• Sarah

November 15, 2021 at 6:42 am

Hi, are there a copy of the slides for this talk?